Tuesday 25 September 2012

freelancer.com ID verification needed

If you are a freelancer, looking for work and if you use freelance platforms like freelancer.com, elance.com, guru.com etc then you should read it.

I use freelancer.com as I was looking for some work. I finished my first project and when I tried withdraw funds they blocked my account. They asked me to verify the identity.

They are eager to verify when I am having money in my account otherwise they are least worried when I was  having nothing.

I never have seen such a verification process from a website, this not a government agency to ask valid ID along with your photograph holding the ID. This is the first time in my entire life I have heard something like that. Freelancer.com is just a bidding platform, and the company is based in Australia. So, what assurance a person has that the ID with his/her photograph is not going to be misused? This is ridiculous and absurd. They can not ask such things, after all this is just a website.


I have contacted them through their corporate twitter and support email, there is no reply. So my advice to people those who are in freelance platforms please be aware about such things.  What will do, when there is escrow or money in your account and they ask for such verification, you will have to give, there is no other way. And as far as I am concerned this site is not that much trustworthy as sites like elance.com, guru.com, odesk etc. So if you provide your valid id with your photograph, there is possibility to misuse it. So please keep away these people.

Elance is world’s number 1 freelance bidding platform, and they never ask for such verification, in such scenario one should think, why these people ask for it.

So, my final advice, say no to freelancer.com. Good luck.

6 comments:

  1. This article is a reality. I had same thing with freelancer.com right now. Freelancer.com is a scam website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% TRUE !
    i earned $1200 from freelancer and at time of withdraw they are asking me for document .. that is not a big issue i give them ... still they are not full filled they are telling like we can't identify you as you are looking as freelancer website.. what the ffff

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL I CAN SAY THAT FREELANCER.COM IS A CORRUPTIONIST WEB WORKING WEBSITE.

    GUYS. I HAVE ALSO AN EXPERIENCED LIKE YOU HAVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://twitter.com/kappy_prasad/status/1005824792295923714

    just had to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I earned $40 with so much hard work in a month and now I'm unable to withdraw because freelancer is asking for my ID which they never informed me about when I signed up. I saw the option but it was optional however now the support told me it's always been mandatory regardless of me knowing or not which is so wrong. This is total violation of my privacy rights

    ReplyDelete
  6. exactly. I am an Iranian and there is no possibility of Iranians registration.
    But I registered with a virtual number that after a while they asked me for identity documents. When I wanted to send my documents to them (but I did not do this), I saw that there is the name of Iran. Is not it a surprise?

    ReplyDelete